Translate

Onward to The Agencies

I'm back in Maryland headed to the NIH. This is a sensible waypoint on my way up north to see who I can find. Best case scenario, I find some scientists and military presence but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. So far, other than animals, I haven't found anyone non-infected. Whatever this stuff is, it must have spread like a wildfire. That's why I'm hoping that either the NIH or CDC can shed some light on what's happened, providing they are still there.
I pull up to the long driveway to the NIH, the gate is open so I can simply drive up but I approach slowly to avoid being shot if there is a military presence here. OMG, there are bodies all over the lawn here. I do not like the looks of this but I have to press on. The front door is covered by a blast shield with only a motion sensitive camera above it exposed. Perhaps someone inside will see me and open the door so I start shouting and waving my arms, trying to get their attention. I calmly explain that I'm not infected to reassure whoever may be watching, if there is anyone.
Man, this is hopeless, I've wasted the last ten minutes waving my arms and shouting like a lunatic and for what? Nothing, that's what; to hell with it, I guess my next stop is... what the??? Suddenly, the blast door opens and I find myself staring at a team of scientists are behind the glass door who are staring back at me. They ask me if I'm ok with "having a simple blood test to prove I'm not infected?" I assure them I'm not infected but they insist so I say sure. They are all dressed in biohazard suits and I think there are maybe 10 or so. They take me to a testing room and perform a blood draw for the test. They mention they may also need to do a spinal tap to test my cerebral spinal fluid for the presence of the virus. Though I am not looking forward to that at least I've found some people.
They come back several minutes later out of their biohazard suits and the test shows I'm completely healthy. I ask if I can bring my dog Max inside and they said the only condition was he has to undergo the blood test and he has to stay in my quarters which I agree to. Finally, I get a chance to actually get some real sleep since I've only been able to lightly sleep for the past week now. The first day seems almost a lifetime ago being on the run as I have been.
Max's blood test came back negative so he is also allowed to stay. I assure the scientists I only need a couple days here because I have to get to New York to check on my family. They are fine with this and suggest I get some rest after I get something to eat. It’s time to get some sleep for a change. They have hot showers and all and suggest I keep my shower time short, no problem. I'm usually in and out in about 5-10 minutes. I've learned to take quick showers since the outbreak. The last thing I want is an encounter while I'm unarmed and vulnerable. I've been breaking into hotels to take showers though they have been cold since there is no power. A hot shower is something I haven't had and am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment