Translate

The Arrival

It took some time to travel to Upstate NY but I made it finally. Though its been hard to sleep lately, I know I must to stay sharp. The last thing I need is to catch this virus and not sleeping is one way to knock out your immune system. I've been sleeping maybe a couple hours at a time, always trying to stay alert so I don't get taken by surprise. Driving down Lake Avenue is really weird; I'm not used to seeing so many cars with nobody in them. They are strewn all over the road like a child threw them around like matchbox cars. At least I'm able to maneuver around the cars; losing my primary mode of transportation right about now would really suck. If that ever happens, I'll have to hot-wire one of the abandoned vehicles and hope it works. At some point, I'm going to have to consider setting up a home base of some kind. Perhaps I may run into some survivors who have made a camp; maybe they will let me join them. All of this is in the name of hope right now. Other than the NIH, I haven't run into anyone that isn't infected. I'm approaching the road to my eldest sister's house. I'm really hoping at least someone from either mine or my wife's family has escaped infection. I can't hope for any more than one at this point and even that seems unlikely. The virus spread so quickly, unlike anything I had ever seen in my life. Pulling the car into the driveway, I see no signs of life outside the house, time to peek inside to see if anyone is here. I hope if they planned to leave that they are already gone to the camp. I look into the front window near the door, nothing. Let me move further down to the living room, still nobody. So, I'll knock to see if anyone hears. I try two or three times with no answer. I open the screen door to see if the front door is unlocked and it is. On the kitchen table is a note saying that if anyone has come here that they've left for camp. That at least gives me some hope they are alive. Now it is time to go check on my wife's family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment