Translate

Finally Some Answers

My hosts have been taking good care of me by providing food and drink on a regular basis yet I've not seen a single person yet. My provisions arrive by way of a slot in the door. Somehow they are able to deliver food without my seeing them. I hope that someone will come down here to talk to me, I would like some answers. Suddenly, someone is knocking at the door. What a surprise, finally some information. I open the door and a group of medical scientists wish to come in. I of course invite them in; I have got to get some answers. "So, why have you been keeping me here?" I ask. The lead scientist explains, "We are searching for anyone who may have developed an antibody to the infection. Since we found you and you had no visible signs of infection we thought maybe you might be immune. We tested some of your blood and found that you are not immune; instead, you are either very lucky, smart or possibly both. We also wanted to see if you would develop symptoms while you were here. We had no idea what happened to you or how you were unconscious. But seeing that you are normal and not infected, we are going to release you." I explain that I wish someone had just come to my room to explain why this was happening, why I was being held. They agreed and understood but said they couldn't take a chance in case I was infected and just not had any symptoms manifest yet. At least in some ways this was a nice relaxing break which was much needed. I ask them exactly where I am which they say about 20 miles outside of Dallas, TX. I also ask how long was I out; they informed me that I was unconscious for about a month. I tell them I did appreciate their hospitality and explained if I find anyone who may possibly have immunity to the virus I would bring them here so the scientists could get a blood sample. They said even if the person won't come, just having a vial of their blood is enough to test with and synthesize a vaccine. I assured them I would keep this in mind. I proceeded to see them out of my room, got dressed and headed for the door. We said our goodbyes and the chief scientist said, "Remember, even a scratch is enough to infect you so please be careful. Should you need a place to run to, you are always welcome here." I extended my thanks and went on my way. They were nice enough to load my vehicle with a month's supplies and a full tank of gasoline. Back on the road I go, heading east for home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment